Non-Western Exhibit

Mosaic Tilework of the Zellige

If you're like me, you've definitely seen mosaic tilework before. From bathrooms to kitchens, to grand hotel lobbies and pools, these beautiful creations can be found everywhere. They are quite distinguishable as they are usually made up of different colors with elaborate geometric motifs. Have you ever wondered where this tradition came from? In this blog, we will be looking at the Zellige style which is a form of Islamic art and is also one of the main characteristics of Moroccan architecture. 

The tiles are made from the best clay and are almost always hand-cut and individually shaped. Before the tiles are shaped, they are "first fabricated into glazed squares, typically 10 cm per side, then cut by hand into a variety of pre-established shapes necessary to form the overall pattern" (Parker). There are many different forms, or shapes, of the Zellige tiles including squares, octagons, stars, and more. Artists position the clay tiles into a design, or pattern, and are then inlaid in plaster. The process is obviously very time-consuming but well worth it because, in the end, these pieces are so beautiful and mesmerizing. 

The Hassan II Mosque

Hassan II Mosque
Casablanca, Morocco 1993

Hassan II Mosque
Casablanca, Morocco 1993

The Hassan II Mosque is the largest Mosque in Morocco and the 13th largest in the world. It is definitely a sight to be seen, I mean, just look at how beautiful it is! The Mosque actually stands on a promontory looking out to the Atlantic Ocean, so worshipers can pray over the sea but unfortunately there is no glass floor looking into the sea...wouldn't that be so cool though? The Hassan II Mosque was designed by a French architect named Michel Pinseau who had lived in Morocco. The Mosque was in tribute to King Hassan II and took seven years to construct. I chose this piece because I think it is a great and grand example of the Zellige tilework and Moroccan architecture. There are so many different forms, patterns, and colors that make up this beautiful piece. I hope one day I can visit because, wow, there is just so much detail. I feel very peaceful when I look at the tiles because there are a lot of cool colors being incorporated. I can only imagine how amazing and calming it is to worship on these grounds. 

Mausoleum of Mohammed V

Mausoleum of Mohammed V
Rabat, Morocco 1971

Mausoleum of Mohammed V
Rabat, Morocco 1971

The Mausoleum of Mohammed V is the final resting place of King Mohammed V and his two sons. Tourists and locals may visit to pay their respects to the royal family and admire the detail and beauty of the Mausoleum. It is actually both a tomb and a mosque, so it is one of the few holy places open to the public. There is a lot of detail in this Mausoleum, "the interior has been finished in white marble and granite floors and walls, and a beautiful granite block with a headstone indicates the final resting place of the great kind" (Morocco). The Mausoleum of Mohammed V reminds me a lot of the Hassan II Mosque because they both incorporate cool-colored tiles. The blue makes me feel at peace and the motifs are very appealing to the eye, not too crazy. I will say, I do not like the yellow/orange floor because it creates a very uneasy feeling for me. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but the floors seem to clash with the Zellige tilework. Overall, though, it is a very beautiful piece of work but I am surprised it took nine years to construct. I'm surprised because I personally think the Hassan II Mosque is way more intricately designed and a lot more beautiful than this Mausoleum, and the Mosque only took seven years. 

Musée Dar Si Said

Musée Dar Si Said
Marrakesh, Morocco 1932

Musée Dar Si Said
Marrakesh, Morocco 1904

The Musée Dar Si Said was once a grand palace and is now a historic museum. The architecture here incorporates many beautiful features that were carefully crafted and are Zellige tilework. There is a variety of colors and patterns being shown here and it honestly is a lot to look at all at once but is definitely a prime example of elaborate tiled mosaics and Moroccan architecture. This palace has several courtyards with small gardens and each space was obviously designed carefully and generously. The palace was designed and constructed by Si Sa'id ibn Musa in 1904 but has since been renovated after becoming a museum in 1934. Today, the museum collects and exhibits a variety of art pieces and objects, however, many tourists come to see the tilework. I'm not a huge fan of the tilework but I do like museums, so I would probably visit if I were ever in Morocco. The colors and patterns here remind me a lot of Indian cultures, which isn't a problem, it just feels much older to me- if that makes any sense. I personally enjoy brighter, more cool colors when it comes to Zellige tilework and mosaics. 

Moulay Ismail Mausoleum

Moulay Ismail Mausoleum
Meknes, Morocco 1729

Moulay Ismail Mausoleum
Meknes, Morocco 1729

This piece was created in the 18th century, so it doesn't really fit the time period as my previous three, but I really wanted to talk about it!! The Moulay Ismail Mausoleum was created in tribute to one of Morocco's greatest rulers, Moulay Ismail. The Mausoleum consists of three brightly decorated courtyards, a mosque, and the tombs of Ismail and his family. Many believe that a visit to his final resting place will bring baraka (divine blessing). Apparently, the Mausoleum is one of the "most regarded architectural sites, not only by tourists but by Moroccan's as well" (Memphis Tours). I can't imagine why it would be so regarded, it seems to have a lot of history and meaning which would be worthwhile to see. Come on, if you were told that by visiting a sacred building you would receive a divine blessing, wouldn't you go? I certainly would. Not only for that reason, though. I chose this piece because the architecture is one of a kind and the patterns are so intricate and sophisticated, I'm sure it's way more mesmerizing in person. There is a balanced mix of warm and cool colors in the tiles, which brings the same feeling of peace as I felt when looking at the Hassan II Mosque. However, there is a lot going on in this particular pattern and I find myself having to blink and refocus my eyes. 

Zellige Tilework

As you can see, there are many different forms of Zellige tiles like circles, squares, octagons, stars, and abstract shapes. The possibilities are really endless and it's because of this that each piece is different from the rest. They may look very similar at first glance, or especially when looking at a photograph, but when you look more closely there is just so much detail. I'm sure these pictures don't do any of the architecture justice, you would definitely need to see it in person. I can't believe locals can go to the Hassan II Mosque every day for worship, that is truly so beautiful. 

I chose the Zellige tilework because it is one of the main characteristics of Moroccan architecture, and I have always wanted to experience Moroccan culture. The art form dates back centuries but it is so commonly seen today and I think that says something about the quality and beauty of the motifs. Each pattern is so complex and sophisticated that it's hard to look away. I would love to watch an artist create a piece because I'm sure the whole process is very appealing or aesthetic. 


Work Cited. 

“Mausoleum of Moulay Ismail.” Memphis Tours, www.memphistours.com/Morocco/Morocco-Travel-Guide/Meknes-Travel-Guide/wiki/mausoleum-of-moulay-ismail.

“Mohamed V Mausoleum, Rabat.” Morocco.com, 22 Jan. 2020, www.morocco.com/attractions/mohamed-v-mausoleum/.

“Moroccan Architecture: In-Depth Review of Styles in Morocco.” Journey Beyond Travel, 13 Mar. 2016, www.journeybeyondtravel.com/morocco/architecture.

Parker, Richard Bordeaux. A Practical Guide to Islamic Monuments in Morocco. Baraka Press, 1981.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing these beautiful tiles! I especially like the photos from Musée Dar Si Said. I really like the darker colors and mood, and I think the warm tones really bring out the natural lighting of the building. I also like the really bright colors and intricate patterns that are present in the Hassan II Mosque. They look like they took a lot of careful planning on behalf of the artist to ensure that the pattern ended up this beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very intriguing art pieces that you have shared! Mosaic artwork remains quite oddly satisfying to my eyes. You can also always just tell that they took so much time to perfect these types of works. I like just how uniquely different the three artworks you included are from each other as far as elements of color, shape and pattern go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts