Introduction

Me and "The Bean"
My name is Laura Quinn. I was born and raised in Connecticut with my older brother Zach. After high school, I began studying at the University of Arizona where I met my husband during my Junior year. He is a UAV Operator for the army and after we wed, we were sent up here to Alaska. We have two dogs and a little babe on the way. My education is important to me so I'm continuing here at UAF as a transfer student. I love traveling, writing, painting, and working with kids. 

I fell in love with art at a very young age. My father lives and works in Manhattan, New York, and occasionally Dallas, Texas. Whenever I would visit him, we would visit the Museum of Modern Art (NYC), the Museum of Natural History (NYC), and the Dallas Museum of Art (TX). Art was one of the few things we shared an interest in, so we talked about it a lot and made our own drawings/paintings together when I was little. As I got older, painting became a passion of mine- but I never wanted it to be my profession, it was just for fun. 

Photo by Vikky Gural 2018
A good friend of mine at the University of Arizona was from Chicago, so I spent time with her there one Thanksgiving, and then again during the summer. Both times we were there, we visited Cloud Gate (aka "The Bean") sculpted by Anish Kapoor. Out of all the pieces I've seen in my life, this was my favorite. I don't know why because it's literally just a reflective bean. However, since it is reflective, it's forever changing. Every time I see it, it looks different. No matter which season you see this piece in, it's always adapting to its new surroundings. If you walk under it, it looks like a Kaleidoscope and you can get lost in what you're seeing. Cloud Gate is just all around mesmerizing and 'unreal'.
Cloud Gate in Snowstorm
Photo by Brian Kersey











For more information and pictures of Cloud Gate:  https://artpublicsphere.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/cloud-gate/

Comments

  1. Fabulous photographs of "The Bean". I can't wait to go back to Chicago. It is such a great tourist city. My husband and I love "Cloud Gate."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura. Thank you for your post. My partner and I have discussed moving to Connecticut once she is done with her Masters degree. I have visited the East Coast several times but have never lived there. I have had the opportunity to see "the Bean" in person, but only once. Seeing the pics that you posted makes me want to go back to Chicago and see it in different elements and conditions. Oh, and congratulations on the pending tiny human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I never thought I would want to go back home (Connecticut), but after living and seeing other parts of the country, I definitely want to move back eventually. There's something so beautiful about New England and the four seasons. 10/10 would recommend you move there!

      Delete
  3. Laura, "The Bean" is beautiful work of art and while pictures of it can be mesmerizing, they don't compare to what it's like in person. The way you talk about it makes me want to go back and see it again as I have only seen it once in person. It sounds like you have a deep connection to art, hopefully this class builds on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laura, this was an awesome post. I have always wanted to venture out to Chicago to see "The Bean" as I also think its an amazing piece of art as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen "The Bean". That's a crazy piece of art. I'm surpried in two of the photos there aren't more people around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a crazy piece of art! It is actually usually very crowded, you can see in my photo standing in front of it how many people are there. The Bean also reflects the others in front of me! There are some days where it is closed off from the public (like right now it is closed) and I'm sure that's when the photographers captured the pictures!

      Delete
  6. Hey Laura, that reflective bean statue is really neat, it would be amazing to see it in person. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to Chicago, but never to see "The Bean", those are great pictures though. It loos so cool. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts